Portable long service leave for employers in the security industry

Protect your workers with portable long service leave

We administer the portable long service leave scheme for the ACT security industry under the Long Service Leave (Portable Schemes) Act 2009.

If you have employees performing relevant work in the ACT you’re required by law to:

  • register your business with us
  • record service for the covered employees by submitting quarterly returns
  • pay a levy (if applicable) after submitting the return.

Registering employers and employees in the security industry

If you are registering your business and employees at the same time, complete and submit the employer registration form.

If your business is already registered and you just need to register employees, you can do this in the employer portal when you are submitting your quarterly return.  You can also provide the required information to backdate an employee’s service. 

If you need any assistance registering an employee or have a large number of employees to register, contact us.

Once registered, we’ll send you an email including:

  • login details to the portal
  • information on how to submit and pay quarterly returns 
  • a Certificate of Registration.

Recording employee service

You must record service for eligible employees by submitting quarterly returns to us. 

Each return must include all employees who worked for you in that quarter. 

For each eligible employee, the return must specify:

  • their start date and/or termination date (if applicable)
  • the gross ordinary wages in relation to those days.

Find out more about quarterly returns.

Paying the levy

Employers pay a levy calculated on the gross ordinary wages paid to employees.

The current levy rate in the security scheme is 1.07%.

Certificate of currency and IRE Certificate

If you’re up to date with all your returns and payments you can download a certificate of currency from the portal.

If you have not yet begun work in the ACT and need an IRE Certificate, let us know when submitting your employer registration application.

No employees

If you’re a registered employer without any eligible employees, you must still lodge a ‘nil return’. That is, a return with no employee service reported. You will have to do this for as long as you’re registered.

Failure to lodge a quarterly return by the due date will result in penalties for late lodgement.

Contact us to stop your registration.

Keeping records

You must keep business records for 7 years after the day an employee stops being employed, in particular:

  • payroll records 
  • employee personal details.

This is a requirement under section 57 of the Long Service Leave (Portable Schemes) Act 2009.

Interstate security industry employers

If your business provides relevant security services in the ACT, you must register with us even if you are located interstate.

You only need to register and record work for employees providing relevant security services in the ACT.

Inspection powers

Under the Long Service Leave (Portable Schemes) Act 2009 we have the power to enter premises and obtain, inspect and copy records.

More information

Lodge quarterly returns

Ordinary wages


Was this helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!